4 Knowledge Base

TelecomTrainning.net > Knowledge Base
 Viewing KB Article
Good Morning, - Please register or - log-in to your account.
Search
Search   Saved Questions   Ask a question
Keywords 

Available categories
LTE
100 of Questions in LTE
CCNA Certification
CCNA Sample Q & A (1000 + Q &A)
(Network +) Certification
(Network +) Sample Q & A (1000 + Q &A)
Networking
General/Interview Q& A on Networking
Home Networking
General/Interview Q& A on Networking
VOIP, SIP & Asterisk
Q & A on VOIP,Ethereal, SIP & Asterisk
Telecom Test Equipments
Q & A on Telecom Test Equipment
PSTN / Wireline
General / Interview Q & A on PSTN / Wireline
LTE, Wireless, 3G ,Diameter and HSS
General/Interview Q & A on LTE, Wireless, 3G ,Diameter and HSS
Telecom General
Any Q & A in Telecom in General

Top Questions
Friends, Describe Secure storage and distribution of A-Keys?
How do I monitor SS7 Traffic in spectra2?
what is the difference between E1 signal & Ethernet signal ?
Explain me the difference between a repeater, bridge and router? Relate this to the OSI model.
What is the difference between BRI & PRI ?
Can you tell me about PBGT?
Guys what is the purpose of Umbrella Cell Approach in GSM ?
how can we explain media gateway in MSc?
What is GGSN?
What is the difference between Electrical-tilt and Mechanical-tilt of an antenna?
What is demarc point?
What is BSC?
Can any one explain me how sms flow will work using ss7 network ?( from physical layer to application layer)
Explain SLTA and SLTM messages in MTP3?
why cellphone towers are painted in red and white?
Hi guys what is WAP?
what is EDAp? what is the functions of EDAP?
wat is the difference betweem MSC & GMSC, & MSS & GCS?
what is sdh?
What is a circuit id?

Explain SIP Server in terms of (Proxy versus Redirection)?
george99 30-June-2008 02:15:04 PM

Comments

www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip/current/msg10306.html
Posted by crouse

The Proxy server—This server can perform call routing, authentication, authorization, address resolution, and loop detection. A UA sends its call setup messages through a proxy server. The proxy server can forward the messages if it knows where the called party is located, or it can query other servers to find that information. It then forwards the request to the next hop. When it receives a response to the request, it forwards that to the client UA. After the call is set up, the proxy server can elect to stay in the signaling path so that it also sees call change or termination messages, or it can withdraw from the path and let the UAs communicate directly. Cisco has a SIP proxy server product.
Redirect server—UAs and proxy servers can contact a redirect server to find the location of an endpoint. This is particularly useful in a network that has mobile users whose location changes. The redirect server can let its clients know that a user has moved either temporarily or permanently. It can also return multiple possible addresses for the user, if necessary. When a UA has multiple addresses, the proxy server can fork the call, sending it to each address either simultaneously or sequentially. This allows "Find Me/Follow Me" type services. Cisco routers can act as SIP redirect servers.
Posted by HamidAliKhan

- A SIP server may either proxy or redirects a request - Which of the two methods applies is a configuration issue. It may be statically configured or dynamically determined (CPL).
- Redirection useful if a user moves or changes her provider (PSTN: “The number you have dialed is not available.”) -- Caller does not need to try the original server next time. Stateless.
- Proxy useful if forking, AAA, firewall control needed. In general, proxying grants more control to the server.
Posted by yogendra

# Proxy server—This server can perform call routing, authentication, authorization, address resolution, and loop detection. A UA sends its call setup messages through a proxy server. The proxy server can forward the messages if it knows where the called party is located, or it can query other servers to find that information. It then forwards the request to the next hop. When it receives a response to the request, it forwards that to the client UA. After the call is set up, the proxy server can elect to stay in the signaling path so that it also sees call change or termination messages, or it can withdraw from the path and let the UAs communicate directly. Cisco has a SIP proxy server product.

# Redirect server—UAs and proxy servers can contact a redirect server to find the location of an endpoint. This is particularly useful in a network that has mobile users whose location changes. The redirect server can let its clients know that a user has moved either temporarily or permanently. It can also return multiple possible addresses for the user, if necessary. When a UA has multiple addresses, the proxy server can fork the call, sending it to each address either simultaneously or sequentially. This allows "Find Me/Follow Me" type services. Cisco routers can act as SIP redirect servers.
Posted by sagitraz

Q&A Rating

Q&A Rating
Rate This Question and Answer

Related Questions
What does a VLAN do?

Asterisks and question marks in their service codes, to find I have to searby by ? or asterisks? Any work around?
Which IEEE standard describes Fast Ethernet?

Search questions via popularity
Top viewed questions  Top emailed questions  Most printed questions  Most saved questions

Copyright © Telecom Training, All Rights Reserved